Not bad, just rusty

Emporium Seafood: Part II

Got some more work done to Emporium Seafood over the weekend.

Picking up where I left off, I got to putting the roof together.

First up, the trusses:

Using pastel chalks, I aged and weathered the roof. The nuts on the trusses were painted using a rust effect paint by Modelmates (now Dirty Down, a UK-based supplier). I also added the black pitch.

With the roof installed, I then added broken glass, newspapers, leaves, chimneys, barrels and figures. I also added the roof access shed, using a combination of acrylic paints, pastel chalks and pencils to make it appear like aged tin sheeting.

Next up was the billboard. It went together nicely, but some of the crossbeams were repositioned as I didn’t like the way they bowed out.

As I was painting the billboard, I assembled it first. Then I airbrushed a light green primer/base coat followed by an airbrushing of black to represent deeper wear, as seen at the bottom of the billboard’s rear. Several light oil washes were used to further age the wood. I used a pin to add nail holes, adding the same rust effect paint I used on the trusses above.

I followed George’s instructions on scoring and peeling the sign to resemble individual sections. I think it really makes the sign pop. I added some pastel chalks here and there and the sign was fixed to the roof.

Next up was the small peaked roof. I cut it out from the card and then I cut and painted all the corrugated panels:

I airbrushed a standard brown primer first, then Model Air’s “Hull Red”. I added some black to the mix, making a black-brown, and then roughly airbrushed the ends of each panel to vary the wear effect.

Then, a combination of cheap craft paints were very, very lightly sponged on. I used Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna and Dark Pumpkin. These were finished with pastel chalks.

That’s it for now. More soon.

by Craig on February 22, 2021