Not bad, just rusty


Today, with the groundwork almost cut and dried, I started superfining the details. A process that is both very rewarding, time consuming and often frustrating. Until you remind yourself why you are doing what you’re doing.

First up, a small spool was made on which to hold the barb wire (from a few weeks ago). I was checking out the website of the awesome Zinge Industries, when I happened across a part that could very well work. Hubcaps. Hubcaps for the wheels they produce. So I ordered some and they arrived yesterday. These measure about 8.5mm in diameter. After drilling and sanding, brass rod was used to create the body of the spool itself.


After carefully wrapping the barb wire onto it, small handles were made out of plastic rod:


Back to the diorama itself, both sides were refined to make the through frame work with maximum effect. This included the various textures of the ground made flush with the frame itself, and the additions of superfine details – like the trench plate support rods and the cabling. The cabling was made by drilling a small hole (0.6mm) into plastic rod. Small gauge wire was then threaded in and cut flush. Nothing beats the real thing here.


A section of damaged iron siding had frayed cabling added (underneath finger) as well as sandbags, to simulate a quick repair job. [Note: the fabric plaster on my finger. This wasn’t because of an earlier X-Acto accident, fabric plasters are great for adding texture to sandbags whilst also stopping the GS from sticking to your fingers]


Numerous other little tasks were completed today, but too boring to go into detail over. Instead, have a look at Fred. He’s the F’ed up DKOK troop that’s been doing some fine stand-in work over the past couple weeks.


by Craig on May 2, 2014